Thursday, October 13, 2011

Table Runner Swap

Life is crazy and hectic with several ups and downs right now.  I don't exactly know why I do this to myself, join a swap in the midst of chaos.  Then a friend said this the other day:

We need to be involved in things that have a beginning, middle, and end.  Cleaning the dishes, keeping your house clean, laundry, and other housewife duties do not fulfill that.  You're in the middle of raising your children right now, so you need to create things.

It really minimized my guilt when she said that.  I also have to explain that this woman is a mother of 8, (4 are already out of the house) and her youngest 3 all have autism.  This woman is an AVID seamstress and makes most of her little ones' clothing.  Total inspiration.

Anyhow, right now I am involved in Shawnee's Autumn Table Runner Swap (usually she does aprons, and I was actually really excited she switched it this time).  I got 2 table runner tops DONE on Tuesday.  I went to sewing time at church (an unofficial little group of women sew on Tuesdays, and another kind woman from church offered to babysit my 3 boys, and another little girl in the Nursery).  I decided to do a disappearing 9-patch style runner.  I cut out enough squares to make 3 9-patch blocks, sewed one of the blocks, then finished the rest at home (sewing the other 2 blocks, cutting up all three blocks, then piecing them back together to make two table runners with 6 blocks each  I decided to keep one for myself of course). 
 Like my new wire dress form?  I found it on Craigslist about a month ago.  She models my aprons.

 This shows most of the runner.
 And a close-up.  This shows all of the fabrics, except the green.  I love all of the autumn colors.  You can't really tell how pretty that cream one is, but it sparkles with gold.  Love it!

I like the way the tops turned out, and I really hope that my swap partner enjoys hers.

1 comment:

  1. Love love love it! Way to finish it too! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and encouragement!